Homework: A Day In The Life – Ugandan Student

Look to Learn: A Day In The Life

Connect – Extend – Challenge
1. How are the ideas and information presented connected to what you already knew?

2. What new ideas did you get that extended or pushed your thinking in new directions?

3. What is still challenging or confusing for you to get your mind around? What questions, wonderings or puzzles do you now have?

One thought on “Homework: A Day In The Life – Ugandan Student

August 26, 2014 at 3:53 am

1. One of their ideas is to let people click on the clocks to show people what they do at that Serbian time for school

2. Holly
    August 26, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hi mrs Joyce,
    wow these Questions really stumped me,(and Dad.)
    1)I know that they ate beans and flour but I didn’t know that it was called posho. They presented it as clocks and you tap on them to see what time it is when they do some thing difrent.for example, they had at 6:00 the girls mum would wake her up and shed have a bath and put her school uniform.

3. August 26, 2014 at 10:45 am

Q1…. The Ugandan school system compared to our school system is disadvantaged as they don’t have text books, interactive white boards, or drinking taps. This is shown in the picture connected to the link.

• September 1, 2014 at 8:33 am

I was shocked when I went through reading it with Mum and Mummy because Mum and Mummy helped me go through with reading it and I got a few points down and I also drew a compare and contrast because I know that before we got to start our mood boards we had to do a compare and contrast so that we know what’s different about our classroom and what’s different about our countries classroom, for example we have an interactive white board, but the Ugandan school doesn’t have an interactive white board.

I was really confused because our school day goes for 6 hours and 15 minutes and their school day goes for 10 and 30 minutes.
      My question is: How can the survive for that long with that much food and with that much water?

August 27, 2014 at 3:38 am

1) my connection is that his favourite game dodgeball is mine as well
    2) it stumped me that how do those kids survive that long for scholl every day?
    3) my question is that is it true that they only have short surply of food and can survive for that long

5. Xbraidz
    August 27, 2014 at 3:40 am

We are at school for 6 hours and 15 minutes. They go for 10 & 30.

6. Xbraidz
    August 27, 2014 at 3:42 am

How do they go for so long?

7. Xbraidz
    August 27, 2014 at 3:43 am

I am confused about how they survive

• Holly
      August 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

hi braiden,
      trust me I am totally confused too??
      I just don’t get it its too confusing eating corn flour and beans yuck.
      to disgusting to think about.

8. harry
    August 27, 2014 at 3:56 am

Connect – Extend – Challenge

Q1. I alreddy know that we go for 6H and 10 to15 and they go for 10H 30M
    HOW DO THEY SURVIVE evan if is boring
    Q2. about the school time now i know the times of a/some uganda schools
    Q3.why would people stay at school for 10 hours and why does she go to bed at 9.00 thats 3 hours till her bed time

• Harry
      August 28, 2014 at 3:58 am
      • Holly
        August 28, 2014 at 9:14 am

hi harry,
        great job. your Animoto is awesome.
        (it always pays to stay in with Mrs Joyce to get your home work done)

• Emmi
        August 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

WOW! This Animoto is fabulous! This is a great extention to your homework! ( and very catchy music)

9. Holly
    August 27, 2014 at 9:15 am

Hi mrs Joyce,
    (thanks for explaining it to me its a lot simpler now,)
    1)At Liddiard road we start at 8:35am and in Ugander they start at 7:30am and end at 6:00pm while we end at 3:00pm.(that’s so long)for snack and lunch we bring our own lunch ox and that has our food in it, but at Ugander they go to there kitchen and eat what ever is cooking and they don’t always like it.

3)how can they stay at school for so long? how do they eat the beans and corn flower and last the hole day?(I’d probably die of food poisoning. or just not lasting on the little amount of food)I wonder how she goes to bed at 9:00 and gets about 8 hours of sleep wakes up at six and still goes to school for another 10 hours.

10. Emmi
    August 27, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi, Mrs Joyce, 🙂
    1.) At home I wake up at 6 o’clock so does Racheal. Racheal only has bread, tea and milk for breakfast but we have cereal or toast. Racheal has a bath before she go to school whereas most people have one after school. We usually have writing in the morning when we are all bright and ready but Racheal has math as her first subject. We bring our own snack and lunch (chips, musli/yogurt bars, sandwiches ) but Racheal has her food served in a kitchen at her school (porridge , posho and beans.) Racheal and her classmates have to clean the toilets but at L.R.P.S we have cleaners for that. At liddiard Rd we start at 8:30 am but she starts at 7:30 am also we leave at 3:00 but she leaves her school at 6:00.

2.) – I think people should experience what children like her experience every day in Africa maybe it would encourage people to be more organized and support charities that donate to these types of causes.
    – I think that there should be a donation the improves the amount of food children in Africa are given.

3.) What is her Homework based on? How much protien is in the food she receives? How does she last through the day with such a little amount of sleep (9 hours) and such a little amount of food? How much money does her parents earn in there store? How good is the education Ugandans receive?
    Emmi, 🙂

• Holly
      August 28, 2014 at 9:20 am

Hi Emmi,
      you have done an awesome job as well.
      I like the way you have explained most the things you’ve said. you have asked some great questions.

11. August 28, 2014 at 3:52 am

Hi mrs Joyce ,
    2)I was surprised that she could actually survive the day eating that little amount of food.
    How can she go to bed at 9:00 and wake up at 6:00.why does her school go for so long and feed the children beans and corn flour.

12. Jordan
    August 28, 2014 at 3:57 am

1. We start at 8:45 than finish at 3:00 but she start at 7:00 than finish at 6:00.

13. Deegan
    August 28, 2014 at 3:57 am

They get food from school at recess they get what is given. we do writing in the morning and they do it in the after noon. we don’t clean the toilets but they clean them.

14. Alex4j
    August 28, 2014 at 3:59 am

How are the ideas and information presented connected to what you already knew?

The girl starts school at 7:30am and wakes up at 6:00am the girl finishes school at 6:00pm.
    I start school at 8:45am and I wake up at 8:00am we Finnish school at 3:00pm aswell.
    The girl eats porridge and beans and flour.
    We eat chips, loolys, rolls, chicken, fruit, veggies, biscuits and those things

What new ideas did you get that extended or pushed your thinking in different directions?

What shocked me was that she wakes up at 6:00 and finishes school at 6:00pm. Also the food she eats is disgusting and not much for 7:30am to 6:00pm.🌈🌌🌻🐪🐫

15. alex
    August 28, 2014 at 5:25 am

Daer Mrs Joyce,
    Sorry Mrs Joyce I didn’t finish it but l’ll do the rest know.

I am confused about the time when they have to finish and start because manly every school starts at 8:00, 9:00 or 8:00 somthing like our school we start at 8:45 so why do they have to start at 7:30 its just way to early for my opinion.

from Alex

16. Kane.W
    August 28, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Hi Mrs Joyce,and glob.
    How are you.

1. I know they ate beans but i didn’t know it had a different name.

17. James
    August 28, 2014 at 10:32 pm

1. I start school at 8:45, and they start at 7:30. I finish school at 3 and they don’t finish until 6pm.
    We are at school for 6hrs and they are at school for 10hrs and 30mins.
    2. That they have to do things different to us each day, they need to clean the toilets and classroom before they go home.
    3. I’m still surprised by how long each session is, the different foods that they eat, that they eat the same foods everyday.

18. Danielle
    August 28, 2014 at 11:14 pm

1. I wake up at 7:00am have a shower when Rachael wakes up at 6:00am in the morning and has a bath. I get dressed and I’m very lucky to be able to choose my breakfast from weet-bixs , corn flakes, toast and hot milo,Rachael only can have bread , tea and milk.
    I start school at 8:35am, Rachael starts school at 7:30am.We usually have writing in the morning , Rachael has math every morning . For lunch I can have a salad sandwich or a lunch order that has a hotdog and strawberry milk, Rachael has her lunch cooked and served in the kitchen at her school (posho and beans ).We only have to clean our classroom tables,Rachael has to clean her toilets and windows before she goes home . I finish school at 3:00pm and Racheal finishes her school at 6:00pm.
    Rachael has a very long day , it must make her very tired.

• Emmi