The Syrian Refugee Project

One of the most defining moments of my teaching career happened on the very last day of school, last year in December 2014. I had fallen in love and was inspired by the work volunteers and humanitarians and been doing at Camp Zaartari. I had watched a news story on Andrew Harper and followed up information about the Syria Refugees travelling into Jordan. What I found was so much more than, I found art work like nothing I had ever seen. It was detailed, colourful and read a message of life. I found the work of Joel Bergner.

Instantly, I went about finding a way to use his work in my classroom. This was easy. The students took one look and were just as mesmerised as I was. As an advocate for globalising classrooms with rich resources from around the world, the class set me task. Could I find a way for them to speak to Joel, to ask him questions, to tell him how much we loved his work. I sent an email. AND I received a response. He offered us his time to Skype.

So on, December 19th, 2014 we met Joel and his Mum and his Dad. The discussion was simply amazing. The class asked questions, his parents shared stories of his artist journey and he told us about Zaartari. I don’t think I could ever thank Joel enough for giving us his time, he change my life and raised hope and awareness amongst my students about life outside of our classroom.

I continue to follow Joel and watch his work at Camp Zaartari. I am inspired by his passion to help others.

3/4J I would like to share with you the work Joel has done this year when he visited Camp Zaartari. I hope you are as inspired as I am of his work. Be sure to share what you know about Joel’s art work with your parents and friends.

Read his blog post about the project and his visit to Camp Zaartari in 2015 http://joelartista.com/blog-2/

1. Look at these pictures, refer back to the blog post from the link above and tell me what some of these pictures mean.

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work?

camp10 camp9 camp8 camp7 camp6 camp5 camp4 camp3 camp1

One thought on “Our Friend Joel Bergner Visits Jordan for Part 3 Of The Syrian Refugee Project – He Continues To Inspire Us

1. Jazi
    May 22, 2015 at 2:34 am

I think this photo means stuff about education

2. Jazi
    May 22, 2015 at 2:36 am

I think it is so special because he put time and detail in to his work

3. Emma^.^
    May 22, 2015 at 2:38 am

I think the one with the person with the book and the birds having tea means that not all animals are beasts but are sivelised in their own way

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work?

4. Jayden
    May 22, 2015 at 2:39 am

5. Bailey
    May 22, 2015 at 2:41 am

1. Look at these pictures, refer back to the blog post from the link above and tell me what some of these pictures mean. These pictures mean hope.

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work? The most amazing thing is how he put a lot of detail in the pictures, also how he does something totally different at the start and at the end it’s what he was aiming for.

6. Emma^.^
    May 22, 2015 at 2:42 am

Something amazing about Joel’s work is how he has written inside the creature or thing.

7. Jayden
    May 22, 2015 at 2:43 am

This means a teenagers dream in water

• Jayden
      May 22, 2015 at 2:44 am

8. Josh
    May 22, 2015 at 2:46 am

1. Look at these pictures, refer back to the blog post from the link above and tell me what some of these pictures mean. These pictures mean like every one can paint and never give up

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work? Joel work is soooo terrific be used it inspires people to art

9. Jayden
    May 22, 2015 at 2:49 am

I think that he’s artwork is awesome because the effort he’s put in the artwork

10. Hayden
    May 22, 2015 at 2:52 am

1. Look at these pictures, refer back to the blog post from the link above and tell me what some of these pictures mean.he has panted a lade with a unbraler he pants piches of thins.

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work?it looks fentastik it all so is Riley cool holl he coodent hath a hi enarf lader.

May 22, 2015 at 2:54 am

I think this picture means that the lady is in one country and she thinks about the other countries around the world.

2. What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work?
    What I think is amazing is that the patience he had to paint it and the passion.

12. Amelia
    May 22, 2015 at 2:55 am

Tell me what some of these pictures mean.
    I think that the pictures are all about the children in camp Zaartari.
    What do you think is so amazing about Joel’s work?
    I think that Joel’s work is amazing I can’t believe that someone can do such amazing things.
    Love he’s work it is incredible and inspired me.

13. May 25, 2015 at 10:37 am

Hi, Mrs Joyce!😄
    I remember that Joel’s work is so amazing and I am so glad that you found him out! Skyping him was so awesome and hearing about the stories of when he was young from his father.
    2. What I think is so amazing about his work is that it means something say when I draw a picture I might be drawing a horse because I think it’s cute but Joel’s works of art represent something, and I think that is amazing!😄

14. michaela
    October 17, 2016 at 8:24 am

1. They try to express their feelings and cultures through the art work and to show people what they can do.

2. I think that the most amazing thing about his work is that, it gives kids the motivation and belonging. It looks real and nearly alive at times. It’s very good and i with i had his talent. To be abel to do that would be amazing.

15. TOBI
    October 23, 2016 at 5:03 am

I think that Joel Bergner’s paintings are unique because of the passion that is behind it which shows in his art. All the paintings are interesting because of the message it’s trying to show. Like the painting with the camel and the man riding it showed his lifestyle.