Read Amazing Student Responses To A Book About Refugees

Ali The Bold Heart by Jane Jolly

Students have listened to a story of courage and sadness. There responses really make you think about how children see the refugees situation and how they feel about detention centre.

Look at the comments and see their work. These 9 – 10 years do really understand.

One thought on “Read Amazing Student Responses To A Book About Refugees

1. ayuen
    March 9, 2016 at 1:41 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    Some question I had were why is Ali locked up
    I was surprised when ali made magic because some people don’t believe in magic and would think its stupid.
    in the story I liked that he took something to make people happy.
    \
    I didn’t like when he got sent to the dentation centre

I didn’t understand why he left the other people in the dentation centre.

I would change that he took the people with him and rather not leave them.

It made think about how my family was a refugee.

2. yewande
    March 9, 2016 at 1:44 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    some questions I had were where did he used to live?

I was surprised when everyone went to Ali to watch Ali do his magic trick because he made them happy.

In the story I liked when Ali took his magic because muhmood felt loved.

In the story I disliked when Ali was heart broken because he was locked in a barb Wire.

Mrs Joyce, I would like to change in the story to lets him be allowed to stay where he wanted because if he stays in detention it he would be EVERY miserable.

It made me think about when my brother locked his room door and did not let me in.

3. Nanjera
    March 9, 2016 at 1:48 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    some questions I hade were why was the place that he was living in dangerous? It was dangerous because of was.
    I was surprised about where the detention centre is because it can get really hot in the desert.
    in the story I liked that Mahmood made everybody so happy. long time in the story I disliked that all of the other refugees had not laughed in a very long time, they have not done that because detention centres make you very sad. Mrs Joyce I would like to change in the book that no refugees get sent to detention centres. the book made me think about how lucky we are in Australia. I didn’t understand why they put Makmood into the barbwire fence when he was just a little boy.

4. Tyson
    March 9, 2016 at 1:56 am

Title: Ali the Bold-Heart
    Author: Jane Jolly
    SL1S: A book about Ali the magician and he is trying hard to be able to get out of the Detention Centre and brightening up all of the people who was there by showing them his magical talent.

Response:
    Dear Mrs. Joyce,
    These are some of my questions about my book, why did Ali take 1 bag with him when he went overseas? I believe it might of being because he only had a couple of objects that he owned. How could Ali have magic in his bag? Maybe he was a magician.
    I was surprised about when Ali found himself behind bars at a detention centre. I inferred that a security guard found him outside of the detention centre and took him in when Ali was asleep. I was also supprised because Ali didn’t commit any official crimes other than coming in by boat.
    I liked it when Ali inspired the others when he showed them his magical talent of being a magician. I liked this moment because the others needed a reason to smile because they wouldn’t of smiled for a wile until Ali had appeared.
    I really didn’t like the fact that Ali left the others in the detention centre and didn’t take them with him when Ali found the magic in hisb heart and found a way out of the detention centre.
    I would change in the book that Ali takes his acquaintances with him and have a happy live in a home in Autsralia.
    This book made me think that us people in Australia are safe and out of war and the refugees don’t get to be able to enjoy that the way we get to.
    I didn’t understyand why they stay in a detention centre knowing the facrt they didn’t commit any serious crimes.

5. Hayley
    March 9, 2016 at 1:59 am

dear mrs.joyce

This book is about a man who tryed to find a better place but because he was a mugition he new magic very well. One day hes contrie became a very bad place.

What ali did was walk for 2 days and all he took with him was one bag. Ali THOUGHT he found the right place but he didnt he got locked up in a detention cectre sarounded with barb wire as sharp as tiger teeth.

One day he got out hes magic blanket and started doing some magic. Every day the crowd grew bigger.But one day the little boy said is thier any magic today and Ali said no. Then a little girl said to Ali if you have magic why dont you magic us all out of here,Ali said bacause i dont have enough magic to do that.

THEN ONE DAY ALI WAS GONE!

6. March 9, 2016 at 2:00 am

Response
    Dear Mrs Joyce some questions I had where why was Ali locked up in detention centre when he did not do anything.

I was surprised when Ali pretended to be happy to make the others refugees feel happy.

In the story I liked how Ali how made the others feel happy and Ali shown the magic to them and they fought it was great.

In the story I disliked when Ali was sad.

Mrs Joyce I would like to change to not make Ali or the other people get locked up in a detention centre.

The book made me think about how they got locked up in a detention centre if I was Ali I would feel lonely like Ali did.

7. tyrone
    March 9, 2016 at 2:04 am

dear Mrs Joyce
    some questions what kind of refugee is ali?, why is ali locked up?.
    I was surprised about that ali got put in dentation centre because he did nothing wrong
    I liked how ali made everybody happy because it filled me with joy
    I didn’t like how everyone was in a dentation centre because it made me sad
    I would chance that nobody would ever go to a dentation centre because its unfair to the refugees in there
    The story made me think about how safe our country is because some people aren’t safe in there country
    I didn’t understand why ali was in a dentation centre because he did nothing wrong

8. March 9, 2016 at 2:05 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,

Some questions I have about the book are how did Ali really escape?

I was surprised about how quick Ali got caught when he got to the safe country.

I really liked Ali showing Mahmood how to do magic.

I didn’t like how Ali was put behind sharp bars. He deserve it. He just wanted to be safe.

I would seriously find a house to put Ali in and when his country is war free I would let him go home for a visit.

The book made me think about refugees in Australia and people who are not nice to them.

I really didn’t understand how Ali escaped. Where is he now?

By Dylan

9. byron
    March 9, 2016 at 2:06 am

dear Mrs Joyce,
    some of the questions I had were
    why did he get locked up?
    I was surprised when the guy was being nice to the kids.
    In the story I liked when the kids were happy because of the magic.
    In the story I disliked when the people got locked up because I felt sad for them.
    Mrs. J,
    I would like to change where the bad people locked them up in the story because I think they should help them.
    when the bad people locked them up it made me think about how sad they wood be because I
    would feel really sad if it happened to me.
    I didn’t understand how Ali was magic because he disappeared.

10. Dominic
    March 9, 2016 at 2:09 am

Dear Mrs Joyce some questions I had were why is there lots of people in that horned presen.
    I liked when Ali is making lots of people happy in the book.
    I dident like when lots of people were in that hrobol detention center .
    I dident understand why Ali is getting locked up in that hrobol detention place.

11. makiala
    March 9, 2016 at 2:10 am

dear Mrs Joyce ,
    some questions I had were why was Ali a magician?

I was surprised about how Ali made mahmood laugh!

I liked how Ali made little boys and girl laugh like thieve never before!

I didn’t like how Ali had to go to a detention centre!

I would change why Ali was in a detention centre!

I didn’t understand the unique and fantastic names was in the book!

12. Tori-kate
    March 9, 2016 at 2:11 am

Dear Mrs Joyce some questions I had were: Why is Ali in detention center. Why should kids be In the detention centers. I was surprised when Ali got out of the detention center and kids had to go in the detention center. in the story I liked Ali got out of the detention center and kids where happy. in the book I did not like The kids being in the detention center people have not smiled in years. I would change kids being in the detention centers and Ali.

13. Olivia
    March 9, 2016 at 2:12 am

response
    some questions I had were. Why did Ali live home? Because of war.
    I was surprised when Ali got locked up because Ali did nothing.
    I liked when Ali made people happy because they were in a sad place.
    I didn’t like when Ali got out did bring the others.

14. angel
    March 9, 2016 at 2:13 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    Some question i had were why did Ali thort it was safe?
    I was surprised when how Ali braing one bag because you will neared more things.
    In the story I liked when Ali brot a good thing because Ali had a bit of a power Ali cord exape the detenchen center.

15. sharhna
    March 9, 2016 at 2:13 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    In the story I liked his magic.
    some questions I had were why was he locked up.

I was surprised when he got out.
    Mrs j, I would change

16. Amealia
    March 9, 2016 at 2:14 am

why shod he take one bag with him.
    I was surprised wen Ali got out of there.
    the put I like was wen Ali made Mahmood happy.
    The put I did’t like was wen he was chuknd in a hindyes plas .
    I wond chag that to be no bad plass.
    It made me think about thing in rill lif

17. jade
    March 9, 2016 at 2:14 am

Dear Mrs joyce,
    Some question i hade were is the book base on a ture story?
    I was surprised when Ail got out of the detention center with his magic, because he said to the boy wish i could.
    Ihavn`t smiled in ages.
    in the story i disliked how so much people got sent to detention center, because there life is roowend n the story i liked when Ali took something that makes people happy, because some of the people and full of bad memorries.
    Mrs joyce, i would like to chang in the story that people don`t go to detention centers, because they came in peac and not to harm anyone.
    in the book made me think about how lukey we are, becuse they diden`t get to choos there cloths they diden`t get choose what they had for tea.
    i diden`t understand why Ali was in detention center, because he just wanted a plaec.

18. nyamal
    March 9, 2016 at 2:16 am

Daer mis joycer I have some qust I have
    I was supper what do Ali do majece for because mabe to get money.
    In the story I like how he mad the kid happy because he tri to mac them prade.
    In the stor I diclike how he stop doing majec.
    Mis joyce i wou chan people to come to austiry to be safe.

19. jimmy
    March 9, 2016 at 2:17 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    I’m wondering why did Ali got put in a detention centre. I’m also surprised about Ali cheered Mahmood
    up. And I’m glad that Ali cheered the children up.