Why did the great journeys of exploration happen?

Great Explorations

Exploration Video

Today we would like you to choose one of the world navigators. On a word document I would like you to prepare a presentation explaining the following:

1. Choose one of the following –

A list of 10 of the world’s greatest and most famous explorers.

Christopher Columbus (1451 – 1506)An Italian explorer, Columbus made four ground-breaking voyages to the Americas (1st journey was in 1492 to the Bahamas). Sailing in uncharted seas, Columbus greatly extended knowledge of crossing the Atlantic and paved the way for the Spanish conquest of the Americas.

Vasco de Gama ( 1469 – 1524 ) da Gama was a Portuguese explorer who was the first European to reach India by sea . de Gama made a direct voyage to India, – travelling around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa – arriving in Calicut in 1498.

Roald Amundsen ( 1872 – 1928 )Amundsen was a Norwegian explorer and a key figure in the heroic age of Antarctic exploration. His Antarctic expedition of 1910-12 discovered the South Pole. In 1926, he led the first successful expedition to reach the North Pole. He also made first voyage through the Northwest Passage.

Marco Polo (1254 – 1324)Polo was a
Venetian traveller and explorer who made ground-breaking journeys to Asia and China. His journeys and writings helped to open up the Far East to Europe and is said to have inspired Christopher Columbus and many other explorers.

John Cabot ( 1450 – 1499 )Cabot was an Italian navigator and explorer. In 1497, he discovered parts of North America (later named Newfoundland) This is widely considered to be the first European discovery of North America since the Viking journeys of the 11th Century.

Sir Walter Raleigh ( 1552 – 1618 )Raleigh was an
English explorer who made several journeys to the Americas and also led expeditions in search of the legendary ‘El Dorado’. Raleigh was granted a royal patent to explore Virginia in America.

James Cook ( 1728 – 1779)Cook was a British explorer who made ground breaking voyages to the Pacific Ocean. He made the first European contact with Eastern coast of Australia and he chartered the islands of the Pacific from New Zealand to Hawaii.

David Livingstone ( 1813-1872)Livingstone was a popular Victorian missionary who explored the continent of Africa. He sought to find the source of the Nile and spent years travelling through the inner heart of Africa. He was opposed to slavery and supported commercial trade with Africa.

Leif Eriksson ( 970-1020 )Eriksson was a Norse explorer who made the first European journey to North America – 500 years before the more celebrated Christopher Columbus. It is believed he was born in Iceland.

Sir Francis Drake ( 1540 – 1597)Drake was
an English explorer who made the second successful circumnavigation of the world in 1577-1580. He also fought the Spanish Armada in 1588.

2. Using the below sections prepare a draft biography about your explorer.

The Explorer’s Life: Describe the life of the explorer. When and where was the explorer born? (This isn’t always known.) When and where did the explorer die? Were the parents wealthy or poor. Did other interesting things happen during the life of this explorer?

What the Explorer Did: Clearly summarize what the explorer did. Describe the vehicles used in the exploration? Did other people accompany the explorer?

The Importance of the Exploration: Why was their exploration important?
3. Prepare a published copy with images on a work document.

One thought on “Why did the great journeys of exploration happen?

July 25, 2014 at 2:25 am

To Mrs Joyce

Hear I am sailing all the way to the article seas of Antarctica brhhh!
    I heard the loud whispering wind I tasted the ice cold wind blowing in my mouth
    I felt the the icy soft cold so very cold water on the wooden timber on my boat I see the icy wonder land of snow Antarctica!

From Liam
    🙂

2. Leah
    July 25, 2014 at 2:26 am

Here I sail I see thunderous water as seagulls squawking over the dark stormy clouds. I feel rocking waves loud clashes of thunder I smell crippling danger as pirates sail over the horizon I taste salty stale air tasteless saltwater the aroma of glorious food cooking.

3. Xbraidz
    July 25, 2014 at 2:27 am

Snappy Shotz

I see the endless waves and ripples going along the horizon.
    I hear the sails of my boat swishing along with the wind.
    I smell the salty water evaporating into the air.
    I taste the chilly wind brushing through my face.

Xbraidz out yo.

4. Emmi
    July 25, 2014 at 2:27 am

Here I sail, on this rusty ship, sailing aboard the gently lapping ocean, I see land in the distant horizon, where my unknown future rests, I watch the brave crew bearing the pain as the work to make the wind move on the windless sea. I feel the edge of the wooden ship as I hold it with one hand and my map in the other. I smell the salty, stale sea air,

I hope you like it so far! 🙂

5. Jordan4j
    July 25, 2014 at 2:32 am

Here I sail in the sea closhing waves with the stiormy. I see the squawking seagulls running aeay from the thunderous storm. I hear the crushing waves like there is a tornado. I feel my sweaty palms going to slip off the rails. I smell the chill of coldness from the misty air. I taste the disgusting, slimy sweat swirling in my mouth.

6. Harry / cristerfer coulombus
    July 25, 2014 at 2:33 am

Here I sail on the exstrodanary bad thunderous water as I smell the heroic underlishous dust wind I also real my underlying wired gut croaking and roaring and the reeking wobaly rocking unstable boat then all at sudern I taste the sandy dusty salt watter seaweed in my face then I see a massive unbelievable humongous wave comming strait at me as I taste unincredibal salt watter dead seaweed all over my face as I throw up a wave comes and the vomit comes in a bad way in my mouth

7. James
    July 25, 2014 at 2:34 am

Here I sail on the still water and I see the thunderes waves rushing in the distance and the seagulls flying away and I hear the crakeling thunder and the chating of the crew and the sea gulls squarking and I taste the salty air and dust and my slimy sweat I feel the cold air on my body and I feel the rocking bout and I smell the food cooking and chill of the cold air.

8. Max
    July 25, 2014 at 2:36 am

Hear I sail as I start to see a storm.
    I feel my hands on the wheel as I say
    to my self “I can do it”. I began to see

9. Andrew162 :) $
    July 25, 2014 at 2:37 am

Here i am on a rocky boat in the middle of the Deadly ocean.

10. Holly
    July 25, 2014 at 2:38 am

Hi mrs Joyce,
    this is my snapshot
    Here I sail the sea of terror as i see the thunderous storm up ahead. I feel the rocking of the boat due too the waves crashing against my ship my stomake is cherking because I forgot to take my sea Sik pills. As I see the stormy swelling sea up ahead I watch my suppose to be brave but terrified crew chatter. I smell the danger of the waves in the misty aromar I can smell the fear ahead. I hear the loud roaring waves of fierce that send the crew crazy I also hear the waves rubbing against my ship. I taste the salty mysty air and the irrisitable food as my saliva rushes around in my mouth I’m just lucky i was born with danger in my blood.

11. Cara
    July 25, 2014 at 2:38 am

Here I sail out in the dark stormy night trying to keep the boat as still as posiable and up ahead I could see dark stormy clouds. I could hear lightning struck as I sail along the horrible oceon. I could taste the discussing salty water flowing through my mouth

12. Abbie rose
    July 25, 2014 at 2:39 am

Here I sail across the rocking Sea.
    I see light grey clouds coming towards me. I see a flashing light of lighting.
    I here the bashing wind of hail rushing.
    I taste salty sweet from my body stressing out.

13. Danielle
    July 25, 2014 at 2:39 am

Here I sail on an old creaky boat I can see the Grey stormy clouds as they crash of thunder i can hear squawking seagulls are trying there hardest to get away from the scary crashing storm I feel seasick from danielle

14. Deegan :)
    July 25, 2014 at 2:41 am

Here I sail in the rough salty sea water. I see my boat rocking wildly from side to side, as massive waves crashed into the side of it. I’m feeling very scared of falling over the side. I feel sick with my stomach churning, as I hear it rumble. I can taste the sickening salt water as it splashes into my face. I smell the sweaty bodies around me, as the men work hard to navigate our boat through the treacherous sea.

15. Alex4j
    July 25, 2014 at 2:41 am

Dear Mrs Joyce,
    Here I sail the great big enormous ocean as I’m under the biggest storm in history.I see the thundery water as the roaring swirly waves crash against the boat.I hear the annoying loudest crew ever they panicking saying are we going to survive I’m scared and all that junk.I also hear the thunder it’s so loud it sounds like it’s talking to me.I taste the disgusting salty polluted air. I taste the enticing food coming towards me.I finally taste the drippy smelly sweat coming from everywhere on my body.I feel the creaking boat rocking like a cot swing from side to side.I also feel my stomach chocking on food in my tummy it feels disgusting.

From Alex

16. Charli
    July 25, 2014 at 2:43 am

Here I am sailing on the crashing ocean. I see the dark grey sky and the thunderous waves. I hear the creaking boat as the screaming seagulls flap away. I taste the disgusting sweat dripping down my body.

17. Makiala / MARCO POLO
    November 3, 2016 at 10:33 pm

-Occupation: Explorer and Traveler Born: Venice, Italy in 1254
    -Died: January 8, 1324 Venice, church is San Lorenzo
    -Italy Best known for: European traveler to China and the Far East
    -Marco Polo was a merchant and explorer who traveled throughout the Far East and China for much of his life. His stories were the basis for what much of Europe knew about Ancient China for many years. He lived from 1254 to 1324.
    MARCO POLO used a boat to get around the seas of CHINA.
    -MARCO POLO’S father was a merchant in wealthy Venice.
    -MARCO POLO’S mother was a merchant in wealthy Venice.
    -MARCO POLO did have other accompanies on board his ship.

18. Yewande
    November 3, 2016 at 10:34 pm

MARCO POLO
    Occupation: Explorer and Traveler Born: Venice, Italy in 1254
    Died: January 8, 1324 Venice, Italy
    Best known for: European traveler to China and the Far
    Marco Polo was 17 when he first went to China.

Marco Polo father and uncle wanted to travel to China , it took them 9 years but they finally made it home. Marco Polo went to the east of China for most of his life.Marco polo dad was a merchant.

CONNECTION:there is I game called Marco Polo and I think he created that game or it was called by his name.

19. Ayuen/James cook🚢
    November 3, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Occupation: Explorer Born: October 27, 1728 in Marton, England
    Died: Killed by natives at the Hawaiian Islands on February 14, 1779
    Best known for: Exploring the South Pacific

James Cook was a British navigator and explorer who sailed and mapped much of the South Pacific.

Captain cook started his first journey on August 26, 1768.

When it was seven years of war James became a master of map making.
    captain Cook’s second journey took place from 1772-1775

November 3, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Occupation: Explorer
    Born: 1460 in Sines, Portugal
    Died: December 23, 1524 in Kochi, India
    Best known for: The first European to sail from Europe to India around Africa.
    Da games father was an knight and get explorer.
    Da game wanted to travel to lndia to get spices, so da gamas

21. Jade
    November 3, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Born: July 16, 1872 in Borge, Norway Died: June 18, 1928 during a rescue attempt.Best known for: First man to visit the South Pole.
    He has three brothers, his dad died when he was 14 years old. He wanted to be an explorer but his mother wanted him to be a doctor so he did. When he was 21 his mum died and did his dream and explored.he learnt that fresh seal meat had vitamin C which helped them to survive.
    They started with 52 dogs all well fed there was five men and at the end, there was five men and 11 dogs

22. Jade